12-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #12
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Personal preference is just personal preference after all... But the truth is that for a mainstream model to stay relevant in today's $100k sport car market, the standard C2 and C2S 911 desperately need a power bump. And the only way to do that while still meeting the emission guidelines is through FI.

Again, you have to realize for most owners of cars of this price range (doesn't matter it is a C2S, GT3, or Turbo), they care very little on the actual performance other than the fact of owning the greatest and the latest from Porsche. But again, Porsche gives you the freedom to pick from one of the dozen flavors of 911 accompanied with nearly endless option lists, so it is up the owner to decide if they want some boulevard cruiser or a razor sharp track beast, or something in between. However, I have to say just because it has turbos, doesn't mean the engine response is imprecise. Honestly, if turbo engines are good enough for much of the top level motorsports these days, I am sure it will be good enough for amateurs like us.

You have to distinguish intake sound from exhaust. The reason why 911 sound the way it is for the driver is mostly due to its engine placement and the fact Porsche uses a sound tube connecting the cabin to the intake manifold, which is impossible for BMW to do so due to its front engine placement. There is very little you can do with intake sound, but exhaust sound can be pretty much manipulated into whatever you want it to sound like these days.

Every heard of the tiny I4 turbo engine on the Fiat 500 Abarth, sounds pretty good right? The same goes for much of the AMG range as well. It is up the the OEM on how to balance sound, flow, and weight when it comes to design the entire exhaust systems.

That said, not all aftermarket exhausts are created equally. The sad truth is that most of the companies out there is just there to make some quick bucks by slapping some off the shelf mufflers and call it a day, and the ones that don't charge an arm and leg for some steel pipes
In your first sentence lies the problem... "mainstream". A Carrera used to be the sports car for an enthusiastic driving experience. Now it's as you correctly said "mainstream". Your average lawyer/doctor car, which is sad in itself, but other than that you're correct of course. It had to improve power and performance while increasing efficiency thanks to the governments.

And your second paragraph is sadly true again. Most people with money today, just buy these things to be part of something, less because they really god damn enjoy that one car. Also, it is true that Porsche gives you the freedom to still buy a N/A aspirated GT3 - but you need the extra cash for it.

In the future it will be really really difficult for enthusiasts to buy these very engaging cars, unless, hopefully they get better again. But before the cars have a chance to get to that fun level again, I think electric and autonomous cars will take over, so the good times are over boys.

Turbo engines are good for motorsports because again, they have no choice. Engineers build the cars to be as efficient as possible in WEC and F1 is a different story. There is such a clear difference between driving a N/A and a turbo engine. But let's not get into that

You're absolutely correct about why the Porsche Boxer engine still produces an intake sound unlike the BMW. But it's not only in the cabin, it's also when you're standing in front of the car. If a turbo car is approaching, you hear barely anything, if a N/A M3 is approaching... wow... you get the point

The i4 turbo in the Abarth sounds good for a 4 cylinder, but that's about it. I had that car to test for a while, the fuel consumption was ridiculous.

That being said, to me Turbos lol. It's like comparing an automatic watch with an atomic Casio. The Casio will be more precise than any automatic watch, but it's far less fascinating and less of a masterpiece. It get's its time by a computer and not by man made components. You get the point. But as you said correctly, it's the future. I will just cry about it 5-10 more years

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0