View Single Post
      11-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Budget caps and engine freezes are ridiculous. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. F1 teams create what trickles down to everyday life. F1 teams should not be restricted. If Liberty Media wants to make sure teams stay, find other ways to do it. It just sounds like a whole lot of sore loser talk from the Red Bull camp. Haas isn’t giving up. Nor is Racing Point. Hell, even Williams is still in it.

Also, RB wouldn’t just leave. They’d sell the team. Call em out on their bullshit and let’s get back to racing.
I would love to see teams rocking billion dollar budgets too, but that just isn't realistic. The return on investment simply isn't there to justify that kind of spending. The budget cuts are happening at the request of the teams because most of them can't afford to compete in an uncapped market.

F1 hasn't been about true, no holds barred development for the better part of 20 years. It's a fiction that fans tell themselves and that the sport perpetuates.

Frankly, F1 tech rarely trickles down to "everyday life." Sure, some high end sports cars come with carbon ceramic brakes, HANS restraints are a part of some other motorsports, KERS was a pipe dream for road cars that has since been abandoned, MGU-K's haven't been successfully transferred to any road cars yet, and while active suspension is often attributed to F1, it really came from Citroen.

I love F1, and I love the innovation, but imagining we're in the late 80's and that teams can purely innovate their way to success without a commanding budget is something that can't happen in the middle of a formula scheduled to last 12 years.
Appreciate 0