View Single Post
      10-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #102
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
List of major metro areas that are NOT "certain markets" and have cost per square foot of homes at or less than what it was 50 years ago:

Tampa
Orlando
Jacksonville
Charlotte
Raleigh
Providence
Albany
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Louisville
Nashville
Chattanooga
Mobile
Houston
Dallas
El Paso
St Louis
Albuquerque
Indianapolis
Green Bay
Oklahoma City
Boise
Spokane
Salt Lake City
Reno
Santa Fe
Tulsa
Milwaukee
Springfield
Pittsburgh
Birmingham
Huntsville
Ann Arbor
Grand Rapids

Some of those are indeed surprising, but overall I wouldn't consider any of those to be a tier 1 job market for the average young professional. Again, nothing against them, I love quite a few places on that list, but they're not exactly attracting young professionals in droves.

The other thing to think about is affordability separate from pure cost of living. Most millennials are drowning in student loans and half their paycheck goes straight to that.

I entered the job market in the middle of the financial crisis, took a crappy job and was able to build a strong network, start investing, and put myself in a great position as the economy strengthened. However most of my peers did what seemed smart at the time...went back to school and took on degree after degree...only to graduate and realize their job prospects and earnings didn't improve the way they thought.

Again, not arguing with your data, but it's definitely not the whole picture and not relevant for the most in-demand metros.