chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignorant_jeeves View Post
Hi everyone:

I'm beginning a long and detailed process of a car search (for me, that's like 6 months to a year) and wanted some help and input from any interested folks on this forum.

Background:
Current Car - 2005 MB C320. So going on 16 years; bought used. Intend to keep the next vehicle for around 10 years also.

Criteria sought:
Fun to drive with as good an engine as possible, but don’t necessarily need something crazy.
Needs to be a daily driver. Don’t have a long commute (60 minutes total daily). I listen to podcasts or music almost constantly while in the vehicle since it’s mostly just me in this car.

SUV v. Car:
I have mostly owned cars. My wife drives a minivan and that’s our people mover with the two kids. I don’t expect to be in my new vehicle much with strollers in the trunk, etc. We use our van for that stuff.

However, I will be taking golf clubs for me and my kids (so 2-3 sets in total) on a regular basis. One thing that annoys me about my current C320 trunk is having to maneuver clubs and shoes and angle them every which way to get things to fit.

BMW Interest:
BMW has always been a little bit of a dream brand for me. The looks, designs, the driving dynamics reputation, etc. I’ve never had the chance to own one before or even ride around much in one, but now am fortunate enough to be able to get a new one without too much trouble.

But I guess general consensus is that recent year BMW models have that “numb” feeling. How much do you long-term Bimmer loyalists find this to be true? Is it a real bother for you? Have you or would you consider switching to other brands in the future due to this? I guess most would consider my 16 year old C-class to be a relatively stiff ride and tight feel (my wife drove my car after a long while the other day and was convinced the steering was somehow broken - of course, she’s coming from the minivan). I enjoy that kind of driving feel. Would I find the M-series or true-M vehicles too stiff or harsh? Too soft?

BMW Vehicles considering:
M340i
New M3? Don’t know much about it of course and wonder if it’ll be more than I need
X3 M40i - recurring concerns about seat comfort, especially with ventilation?
X3M - the reviews seem to say the ride is terrible?

BMW X3 vehicles get HUD, wireless apple carplay, excellent advanced safety, a well-reputed infotainment system, and ventilated seats.
The 3-series sedans get everything but the ventilated seats, but I have heard these are mediocre on BMW anyways (though I would love it as I live in Florida).

Given the above criteria and thoughts, what would you guys recommend? I am going to go test drive, but want to be selective about which ones to pick and in what order, if possible.

Any other brands you would consider?
I am also looking at AMG C-class, AMG GLA, and AMG GLC. Also Genesis G70 and Audi RS5. All those vehicles also have all the features I would want aside from wireless Carplay. But I have also heard some people dislike wireless Carplay since it’s via bluetooth.

Also looking at electrics - Tesla Model Y Performance, Polestar 2, Mustang Mach E GT. Tesla has its own array of issues (build quality, lack of carplay, lack of ventilated seats, etc). Not much out there about Polestar 2 and Mach E yet. 1st generation technology from a new brand makes me a bit nervous.

Anyways, I know that’s a long post and I’m probably over-analyzing. But as annoying as it is to nitpick so many options, each with different limitations, it’s a fun process in some sense.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Especially on wireless Carplay v. wired, ventilated seats, trunk space (especially for those of you that transport golf clubs regularly), and cross-shopping experiences.

Thanks in advance!

...oh also, PCDelivery for BMW sounds amazing...
ignorant_jeeves Based on your familiarity, the C-Class or X3. The X3 is not numb, not one bit. Recent model C-Class has CarPlay. The base X3 xDrive30i is peppy and gets good fuel economy. The M40i is fast and in my view a balanced ride vs handling comfort. The C43 is fast, but AMG universally gets poor comments for suspension harshness.

GLC is uninspiring in my view. My wife agreed when shopping for her X3.

No way on the A-, CLA- or GLA- from Mercedes. Tiny, tinny and mistakes for the brand. These things have cheap, chintzy interiors.

Look at the M-B GLB. Good size, nice exterior appearance in my view. But again, cheap interior, almost chintzy. I have not driven one, so can't comment on noise, vibration or harshness.
Appreciate 0