09-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #251
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Toyota got flack because they have the financial means to do it properly, but didn't, at least that's my view. Would it have been as good as what we got had Toyota soldiered alone? Who knows, as current Toyota has had its high points (LFA), and low points (RCF) for all their R&D dollars.
I work in product and business development and being able to afford to do something isn't a good reason by itself to do it. From a business perspective you run the numbers with costs, price and expected sales and see how you think it will come out. Maybe for something like this Sales/Marketing adds in some value for the brand image in total or maybe these cars get people in the showroom. Figure all this out and if the expected numbers aren't satisfactory you don't move forward. Nobody says, "we have billions and can afford to waste some of it". As an enthusiast I may not like the end result but would do the same.

Large part of Toyota's success is they are smart with their money, enthusiasts call the Corolla, Camry, RAV4 boring but they have been very successful selling these boring vehicles to people that are looking for basic, reliable transportation.