View Single Post
      09-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #30
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Audi has never excelled at materials in my opinion. They rarely add stitching to door cards like MB and BMW and just put in a flat panel with no design, very bare in its design. On the higher end cars they fix this with suede inserts but they rarely have a leather dash, especially those Q8's that are $80k are all spec'd at dealers with the plastic dash, just feels cheap. Audi fit and finish is pretty good, but I think BMW is top in build quality (although they haven't fixed the rattles), just wish they would stop cheaping out on the plastics, was one of the factors that turned my wife off of the X3, too much hard plastic where the GLC either had soft touch or leather/leatherette with stitching.
Agreed. There's definitely a trade off with all of the 3 German automakers when it comes to interior. Personally, I find that BMW does the best balance, but I also understand that they come across a little bland. Mercedes and Audi are more striking, but then you have Audi that doesn't use a lot of leather on areas that they should (like you said), and then you have MB who have very opulent look and feel to their interiors but some quality issues arise (creaking, popping, etc. of anything you touch too hard). Nothing is perfect that's for sure. It's down to what is more important to you in an interior.
stein_325i25073.50
heavyD^23688.50