Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
What about charging under a closed hood with a car cover on? I've done for three years. There are warnings in the box that say batteries vent gas and proper ventilation is needed...
All batteries vent at or near overcharge. If the charger is properly designed, this should be kept to a minimum. Besides, that's what the vent hole and tube is for. Haven't you (we) been charging in a closed "hood" environment all this time since the battery is in a closed trunk?
Thanks for that. Yes I have always done it this way. Good to have the discussion; when someone challenges what you have always assumed to be correct and makes you question it I try to go back and do the research to reconfirm previous held beliefs.

I see lots of people perpetuating old beliefs or myths who never question them or learn new ways. My parents jump a battery direct on the positive/negative terminal; how do I convince them to use the ground terminal for negative connection for example? As per your argument they've ALWAYS done it this way and nothing has gone wrong, right? Therefore by that logic that must be the right way to do it!
Appreciate 0