View Single Post
      09-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #32
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The answer to this question isn't found in a discussion forum. The answer is found by looking at sales data. The manual transmission has been decreasing in popularity for a couple decades and the rate of decline has particularly increased over the last few years.

The reasons for this is simple. The manual transmission is no longer the better performer nor the more efficient choice. Technology reached a point where automatic transmissions were able to shift faster and yield better fuel economy. For most people these two factors erased the manual transmission's value proposition.

As we head toward a future of electric vehicles, the transmission itself will all but fade entirely into obsolescence.

Actually, the reason I posed this question on a car forum is because I was interested in the point of view of car enthusiasts. I felt that the responses I got here would bring out the thoughts of long-term manual drivers. And, the responses so far have been exactly what I was hoping to learn. Everybody knows that sales of manual transmissions are down and dropping. So, looking at sales data would not adequately address my question. The car enthusiasts on this thread, on the other hand, have given great responses as to why they feel the way they feel about manual vs auto.

Thank you for sharing your view too.
Appreciate 0