View Single Post
      09-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #27
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
After the staggared RFT were spent on the E90 long ago, I swapped to GFT (go-flat tires). Knowing the RFT were stiffer sidewalls, I went to a square 18" set up and ran GFT high performance all- season. 245/35-18 XL rated.

One late Christmas Eve, out in West BF Nowhere, where I live, I ran over a block of 2x4. Yep, there was a nail in it. The FTM popped up. Being it was near midnight, very cold, the wife shithammered sitting in the back with the pups, I decided to trek the last 30 miles home rather than try and plug the tire.

Next day, I check the pressure, flat as a pancake. Threw the E90 up on the lift to see how bad the leak was. The tire went flat in about 2 minutes, so I drove home on a GFT 30 miles with zero pressure in it. My conclusion from that experience is large diameter, low-profile GFT with XL load rating, are as good as more expensive RFT. Granted it was below 30 degrees, but the tire stayed completely intact.
Tires will stay somewhat rigid due to centripetal force, especially at speed, and then most modern tires will tend to seal pretty well around a small puncture IME, so it's likely you had some help there.