09-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #28
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I don't know about you, but as soon as my OEM run flats wear out, I switch to proper go flat tires. I find the ride way better. I haven't had a flat in years and I keep a kit in my car with air compressor in case I get caught in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, tire companies will tell you the car was designed for run flats and try to get you to pay for the higher-priced, possibly higher-margin tires. A "tire advisor" at American Tire recently told someone I know that go flat tires are dangerous and 40 series go flats could damage his rim.

What stories have tire dealers told you to try to keep you in run flats?
"You're wife is driving at night in an unknown area. She's lost. She gets a flat. You're out with your pals. The recovery truck can't get to her..."

Thankfully I showed the woman how to swap a wheel out.

Even... "you're going on vacation but need all the boot space you can get so you don't want to be carrying a spare tire."

The way I see it. A run flat won't save you from a blow out. Even when it's blown out it's no different to a non-rft.

There are some great non rft out there. Cheaper and better...

The only rft I have ever liked was the Michellin zero pressure. It had all the characteristics of a non-rft but weighed a little more that's all.

Michellin have since launched an even better rft that ways the same as a non-rft. I think we're headed to airless tires... hopefully those are out in this lifetime.

Then you have the shady garages refusing to repair a rft and insisting once it's gone it's gone.

I carry a tire plug kit and tire repair kit (conti mobility kit).
Appreciate 0