09-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #39
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I don't know about you, but as soon as my OEM run flats wear out, I switch to proper go flat tires. I find the ride way better. I haven't had a flat in years and I keep a kit in my car with air compressor in case I get caught in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, tire companies will tell you the car was designed for run flats and try to get you to pay for the higher-priced, possibly higher-margin tires. A "tire advisor" at American Tire recently told someone I know that go flat tires are dangerous and 40 series go flats could damage his rim.

What stories have tire dealers told you to try to keep you in run flats?
The premise behind RFT is that

#1 The speed rating is voided on repaired tires #2 Donuts are single use and therefore must be replaced.
#3 Not all tires can be repaired.

Consequently a new go flat + new donut spare would cost about the same as one new RFT. Oh and no, you don't need to shave the tread on a replacement tire. That's only applicable to race/track cars.

Now obviously in real life people don't replace their donut spare, and will not care about the speed rating on their HP tire because they have those tires for looks anyways.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0