View Single Post
      09-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #72
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I don't any of us can deny what has to be done, but the issue I have is that electric , well battery electric is that they don't work for everyone.
For some they work very well but there are many for which it will not be as convienient as as combustion engine.
Ie they don't have the ability to charge their car at home as they live on a street where they don't have garages.

now whilst I accept that battery technology will improve, it's not there right now as regards the ability to recharge in a few minutes.

hydrogen fuel cells have my interest but the infrastructure doesn't exist for that as of yet. You still have to produce the hydrogen in a clean manner to make it worth it. Solar power would seem the obvious answer there and strangely enough many countries that currenty have oil are well placed to do that as countries have climates with lots of sunshine (not all I accept)
Whilst it would be a lot of infrastructure to build out, we somehow managed to do it with petrol. you think about whats involved, dig down far into the earth, sometimes under a sea, refine it and transport it thousands of miles away.

I don't see what the same couldn't be done hydrogen?

But yes I think we are in the swansong now for ICE cars. your last chance to buy a new car with a combustion engine, no speed limiters (coming here in the EU in a couple of years)

I've no doubt that many people will want to hang on to their cars but I suspect governments will force us out of them by way of taxes or charges in one way or another.

It's all rather depressing for us petrolheads!
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50