09-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #671
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Woof. Zonked on my ride today. I had a stop planned and pushed it until I got there, but I was way overdue by then. I couldn't eat any of the trail mix I brought along because my hands were shaking too badly to get them in the bag or even grab a piece of the mix. I sat down in the shade and was finally able to eat the trail mix and have some water. 10 minutes later I was fine and went on my way, but lesson learned. Don't push it when you feel you need a break.

The trail mix is from Aldi. It's called Tropical Trail Mix and it's mostly dried fruit and not many nuts, which I prefer. Decent amount of carbs without having to eat much of the mix. And it doesn't leave me thirsty like a Clif bar. Tastes better, too.
Eating is part of cycling, gotta do it. Nuts are great because of the fat content. Your body turns that to energy quickly and it tends to last longer than just carbs alone.

But you'll be good no matter what you eat so long as you stay on top of it and don't fall behind. That goes for hydration too. Rule of thumb for a decent intensity ride is 300cal per hour. I do think that's for endurance rides of 4 to 5 hours or longer.

Not only do i eat more on longer rides, but i eat more prior and more per hour. For a 2 hour ride, i eat about 200 cal of carbs and fat about 10 min before riding. Then at least 240 cal during the ride. I generally burn 900 - 1100 cal during a 2 hour ride.

For a 5 hour ride i eat about 350 cal of carbs and fat about 20 min before riding, then about 360 cal per hour. I generally burn 2600 - 3000 cal in a five hour ride.

For the most part you can get away with eating less on shorter ride but on longer ride you really need the fuel to keep you going. Either way, consistently fueling yourself will keep you feeling good.
M_Six16935.00