09-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #672
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Eating is part of cycling, gotta do it. Nuts are great because of the fat content. Your body turns that to energy quickly and it tends to last longer than just carbs alone.

But you'll be good no matter what you eat so long as you stay on top of it and don't fall behind. That goes for hydration too. Rule of thumb for a decent intensity ride is 300cal per hour. I do think that's for endurance rides of 4 to 5 hours or longer.

Not only do i eat more on longer rides, but i eat more prior and more per hour. For a 2 hour ride, i eat about 200 cal of carbs and fat about 10 min before riding. Then at least 240 cal during the ride. I generally burn 900 - 1100 cal during a 2 hour ride.

For a 5 hour ride i eat about 350 cal of carbs and fat about 20 min before riding, then about 360 cal per hour. I generally burn 2600 - 3000 cal in a five hour ride.

For the most part you can get away with eating less on shorter ride but on longer ride you really need the fuel to keep you going. Either way, consistently fueling yourself will keep you feeling good.
My screwup today was a light breakfast. Just a small bowl of cereal and coffee about an hour before the ride. I should have had more prior to leaving. Another lesson learned. And here I've been watching vids and reading up on cycling nutrition, then I go out and blow it the first ride afterward. Doh!

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0