View Single Post
      03-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
2002 is by far the worst year to look at. The transmissions started to get better(which isn't saying much) in the 2003 models. If you are looking to just do exhaust, tune, and maybe a mild turbo upgrade(VF series), you would be fine, but beyond that you are on borrowed time. Some last longer than others, but it's definitely not recommended. You will be able to hang with a mildly modded STI at that point, but it's still going to make you wish you saved a little more and bought an STI every time. I went through this same thing when I had my 2002 WRX years ago. If you can spring for an Evo, you will have a hard time finding a more fun weekend/track car that can still be used as a DD occasionally. They are a little harsh and peaky with the power when they are modded, but I DD'd my Evo for about 3 years with out too many issues aside from ones that I caused. Just FYI on the on the 2002 WRX, aside from the trans, there was a service bulletin about fuel lines cracking or something and leaking gas. I never had this issue, and they didn't put out the bulletin until I had sold mine already, but it's just something to look out for.
2.0L WRX's are laggy as F too