SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWho View Post
Sticky Parking Brake--I washed my new Z4 and pulled it into the garage to dry it off. I did that on a Friday and left the car in a 74 degree garage until Monday morning. No chance of rain so I decide to drive the car to work. I start the engine and then feel a lurch and brief thump. The parking brake light was not on but it was stuck. Apparently, you should drive the car a bit after washing it to dry the brakes, or not use the parking brake after washing. Anyone else had a similar experience?
This is a common issue when washing BMWs. The same thing has happened on our previous 2011 335is Coupe, our 2006 Z4 M Roadster, our 2016 M4 Coupe, and our 2018 M3. BMW uses high carbon steel in their brake rotors and unless you live in Arizona or somewhere else with extremely low humidity, by the time you're done washing and detailing your car, the rotors have already begun to rust. If you pull the car back into the garage and leave the parking brake set, it will likely get "stuck" when you drive to back out of the garage the next day. Fortunately, a light application of the brakes will quickly and easily get rid of any oxidation.

Appreciate 2
DocWho86.50