View Single Post
      01-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #168
Toejedi
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSecretan View Post
Hmmmm, I wonder if it is the same issue we have. My noise is definitely not a Geiger-counter kind of noise - mine is just a single click which happens when going over uneven road surfaces.

My and the dealer's first thought was that it was the plastic at the front of the roof moving against the plastic at the windshield where the two meet. However, after some investigation I'm pretty sure they don't actually touch each other. I taped a piece of cloth to the plastic behind the seal at the windshield, then closed the roof and tugged the cloth. I expected it wouldn't budge because the roof clamps so tightly to the windshield, but it came right down with zero effort.

I'm now thinking it's either something simple like a clip that's loose, or it's the lock drive behind the little plastic hatch that's loose. I'm going to do some further investigation and put it into the dealer in January. Part of me wonders if the loose door card could be contributing - I know it's a completely different part of the car but I just wonder if one bit being out of alignment and putting the incorrect pressure on other bits of the car can throw the whole thing out of whack - probably wishful thinking!

That's annoying that you've not had any luck at either dealer. Have you tried escalating it to BMW UK?
So I did some further investigation and to rule out the black trim that is attached to the roof I removed this and went for a drive.

Roof up, the noise (plastic creak) is still there and seems to be coming from the plastic trim that surrounds the windscreen, directly in front of the rear-view mirror. Roof down there’s no issue. So I think it’s when the roof is locked down onto the windscreen frame (Interior black plastic that meets the A pillars) that it puts pressure onto the interior trim that surrounds the windscreen. If I squeeze the trim with my hand (roof down) it makes a similar noise.

This is affected by temperature so I think it’s just a very tight fit that needs some padding or the trim needs reseating.

I do intend it take it back to the dealers but thought to share my latest investigations.

I also have the intermittent alarm going off when the boot is opened and it only did this after the DME software upgrade. As well as losing the Greeting or Welcoming lights feature on comfort. The software issues I can live with but the plastic creak is not something I’ll accept.
Appreciate 0