View Single Post
      01-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #169
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejedi View Post
So I did some further investigation and to rule out the black trim that is attached to the roof I removed this and went for a drive.

Roof up, the noise (plastic creak) is still there and seems to be coming from the plastic trim that surrounds the windscreen, directly in front of the rear-view mirror. Roof down there’s no issue. So I think it’s when the roof is locked down onto the windscreen frame (Interior black plastic that meets the A pillars) that it puts pressure onto the interior trim that surrounds the windscreen. If I squeeze the trim with my hand (roof down) it makes a similar noise.

This is affected by temperature so I think it’s just a very tight fit that needs some padding or the trim needs reseating.

I do intend it take it back to the dealers but thought to share my latest investigations.

I also have the intermittent alarm going off when the boot is opened and it only did this after the DME software upgrade. As well as losing the Greeting or Welcoming lights feature on comfort. The software issues I can live with but the plastic creak is not something I’ll accept.
Thanks for your further investigations! I've also come to the conclusion that it's more likely to be something around the windshield frame rather than the roof itself.

I also find that the trim around the windshield frame clicks and sqeaks when I put pressure on it, and it would well be that this is where the noise is coming from - but I'm now thinking it could actually be the hinge on the cover over the SOS button. When I open it and then give it a bit of a jiggle it makes some amount of creaking noise. The hinge seems to be a particularly plasticky part - it wouldn't surprise me if it was the culprit. It's the only part in this area which has any obvious movement or noise coming from it.

The car's going in on Monday to resolve the door card and the roof noise - and also to investigate a new problem I've had where the maps are randomly dissapearing in my instrument cluster. Will report back!
Appreciate 0