View Single Post
      11-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #43
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
The bus will be an option too. Again, I think we can all realize that passenger cars going to EV powertrains is not about curbing emissions, it's about money. We are a few years away from companies saying the quiet part out-loud (no private ownership, autonomous vehicles, etc.).
Yes it is about money and feeling good about doing the right thing. We average about 24 mpg in the US. Raise that to 34 and gaso consumption drops to about 6 mln b/d. When the US normal that was around 8.6 mmb/d. Big drop and would further lower the relatively small amount of worldwide ghg's our cars put out.

But we all want to drive a tank to the supermarket and office that have low 0-60 times so here come the EV's. And the gov't will hand money out to make it happen.

Having said all that, for running around locally I'd consider an EV for a second vehicle. It would make sense economically. I don't know how much of that economic sense is because of subsidies (which includes lack of a gaso/road tax).