Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
But... why the hate of EV!?!

I could not agree more. It's like the government has given up when it comes to continued drivers education. I remember taking a one semester course almost 20 years ago when I was 15, then one "final exam" the day I turned 16 at the DMV... nothing since. Good news is, driving as we know it/texting/the laws/vehicle speed potential certainly hasn't changed over those 20 years

That said, the current state of drivers on the road is ridiculous. The constant texting and lack of situational awareness is a nightmare. My wife comments that I may be more on the aggressive side of driving (read: very different from wreckless or angry). That means I pay attention. I would MUCH rather drivers like myself who can respond quickly to situations, than some person cruising the fast lane on the highway going 5 under while a trail of 10 cars rides her bumper because she's completely oblivious. Or my favorite, the person parked at a fresh green light because they are head down in their phone texting and oblivious to their surroundings.

Can autonomous vehicles assist with getting oblivious persons like this out of the drivers seat? Absolutely. But that seems like a very long and expensive answer to what should be a very simple solution. It would be like saying 40 years ago when drinking and driving was commonplace... "Lots of people like drinking and driving, who are we to stop them? Let's heavily subsidize Taxi's to make them THE future for those who are irresponsible, while taking away the freedom to drive from those who are responsible."

It's absurd, but appears to be the argument I hear coming down the pipeline for AV tech. The reality is you enact proper legislation paired with education to curb that behavior. Will there still be bad eggs breaking the law? ABSOLUTELY. Thats why you enforce consequences and deal with those individuals on a case by case basis. **off soapbox**
I've worked in the engineering/tech field my entire 30+ year career. I've managed the business of making real new tech stuff and advancement of it, so I can say with confidence I understand the engineering mentality. The AV tech advancers are still looking at the "how" and not as much the "why". I'm sure they'll make AV work close to their vision of it, but the functional implementation and cost of it are far from worked out. I keep up on the advancement of AV tech because it interests me and I'm far from a Luddite. It may come to fruition someday, but not anywhere near the time table the AV community thinks. People place far too much confidence in the advancement of technology because there is a new iPhone on the market every 6th months. Remember when the US space program was a goal to populate other planets (Mars). We got to the Moon in just 2 months and 8 years past the time of Kennedy's May '61 declaration. It's been almost 48 years since then, and we've got some excellent rovers on Mars and a bunch of movies about humans living there.

Your drunk-driving analogy is spot on.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Viffermike1725.50