Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
As a related tangent - when I graduated high school in '93, the local community college was charging $60/credit for tuition, Michigan State University was, as I recollect, about $120-125/credit.

Since we recently moved back to East Lansing, my wife was considering "auditing" a couple of classes at MSU. Their current tuition rate is something like $495/credit hour.

Is there some other industry where the cost has increased 400% in the last 25 years? I can't think of anything or service that I currently use or buy that has, honestly.
And why do you think it suddenly skyrocketed like that?

Couldn't have anything to do with the federal government coming in and underwriting student loans where no matter what the university charges, the student can get a loan for, could it?

Naw, couldn't be that.

Wouldn't happen to be anything like the mortgage crisis from a few years ago, where home prices skyrocketed because nearly anyone could get a home loan, since so many were being federally subsidized by fanny mae and freddy mac? Naw - it's certainly not the exact same thing. What was I thinking?

Couldn't be that anytime the federal government gets involved and artificially inflates demand for something that the supply side has runaway inflation? Couldn't be the exact economic theory that Hayek, Friedman, and Tocqueville have described countless times?

Naw - couldn't be anything like what I mentioned. I'm sure it's only because of greedy university presidents and that if the federal government gets involved, they will make it all better. Yeah, that will certainly work.