View Single Post
      09-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I'll caveat my whole response by first saying that my 24-105 is my most used lens. It's the most versatile lens out there covering a broad, useful focal range.

However - it is definitely one of the weaker lenses in my line-up in regards to sharpness, vignetting and light fall-off, and particularly corner sharpness. I'm not sure that this is the best example of why a lens is good - you merged multiple photos at multiple exposures, which would cover-up the flaws of nearly any lens you used to blend and HDR. My 16-35/4L is incredibly sharper at the wide end, and my 70-200/4L is better at the telephoto end.

But..... I still find my 24-105 attached to my camera the majority of the time because the convenience it offers far outweighs switching lenses so often, and it's constantly a love-hate relationship with me. I'll be curious to see how the new Mark II version performs and what improvements are made. I'll be watching the reviews and would definitely be interested if the IS, sharpness or vignetting are improved on it.

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0