View Single Post
      07-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #1052
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Can I ask a dumb question? In the 21st century, is it common for people to carry just their wheels into a local bike shop for new tubes, tires, and maybe a spoke tensioning or wheel truing?

I have a Trek bike that someone gifted me as a motorsports paddock ride about 10 years ago sitting in my race car hauler thanks to my forced medical retirement from competition, and the tires are now dry-rotted and won't hold air. There's no Trek dealers nearby, and I feel strange carrying the whole bike into a LBS that sells other brands. I'd like to try and ride it around our neighborhood, if for no other reason than to see if my internal gyroscope isn't so far gone from my ticker being hotwired that I'd face-plant before getting it out of first gear.

I'm not a stranger to changing motorcycle/bicycle tires and tubes or even truing wheels, but K-Mart is long out of business in our region for bicycle parts and I don't know if I can pry a tire off of a rim any more with two screwdrivers to do it myself.....
Perfectly normal if you don't feel up to doing it yourself. The first thing I did when I got my Carrera was to replace the off road deep tread tyres for road tyres which I purchased from e'bay called 'Bronx'.
If you do try yourself use proper mini bike tyre levers not screwdrivers.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614891.00