06-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #28
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
I'm not an automotive engineer, but as hobby I often fix and correct issues they've caused on my project cars. So I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, until it's been proven they've designed a defect that needs addressing.

That being said, the photo above creates several questions and concerns for me. Why is the gap so large between the rotor and shielding? Why does the shield flare out at the top, but in at that bottom (I understand the steering rod clearance issue)?

I know I'm probably wrong, but it almost looks like that thing is installed upside down and backwards.

Why doesn't it follow the most prevalent design style for this component? See my examples below:
Yes, it clearly is a design flaw on these brakes. The dealer says it is probably designed that way to allow cooling air to flow across the disc. It is obvious to me that whoever designed the shield gave no thought to stones easily getting in due to the wide opening at the top. If the bottom had been opened up as well there is a good chance that the stones would drop right through onto the road. Clearly it is a fault and requires a complete redesign of the brake shields to fix the problem.

I am informed that the new 3 series M Sport brakes are exactly the same design. That car is a big seller so I'm sure it will only be a matter of time until many other owners start to complain as well. Let's wait and see what happens.
Appreciate 0