Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
We must have driven different Mini's. I loved the R53, but the F series are just horrible. The 3 banger is actually better than the Cooper S and the JCW is barely better, none want to rev and seem to want to survive on mid range torque.

I prefer the size to my GTI, but the motor, suspension, brakes and handling are all wildly inferior.

I even tried driving used ones at CarMax just to make sure I wasn't just feeling green motors, but they all felt like they were breathing through restrictor plates.

Did I miss that you need rear seats? If not, Miata. If so BRZ, but be prepared to really hate that engine too. If I didn't need a backseat I'd have a 181 hp ND Miata tomorrow.

As for the 1er talk, I can't see one being a fun daily, but that's probably just influenced by my dislike of our departed N54 one. Heavy, one wheel drive, comical understeer, loud, ineffective brakes, goofball seating position. Not a fan.

I don't think we drove different mini's - I think we just have different opinions. I absolutely loved the new F series Mini and don't like the previous generations at all. To each their own, right? I think the new mini is just the right size and felt that the power and performance during everyday driving was spot on.

Seriously - the only reason I didn't get one is the reliability factor and that there is no Mini dealer in my town. If there was, I would own one.
Okay, fair point. The previous ones were more of the Fiesta ST method. Crap interior, but awesome to drive. The new one became more of a mature car. Just in my opinion that's a tough fight to try to take the Mk7 GTI.

Of course if you'd like an interior that's not either black or tartan, I can still see the appeal. I just wish they'd created a nicer Mini while leaving more of the previous hooligan handling traits. This probably explains my fascination with the R56 Goodwood with a manual.

And I'm also influenced by my previous Mazda 3, which ran out of thrust at about 5k rpm. The Mini motors just felt too much like that. The separation between 60% and 100% were super narrow. I guess I just prefer more the Jeckyl and Hyde approach. Or at least less Hyde.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00