View Single Post
      08-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I'm an IT project coordinator for a company that works with several school districts across New England. In short, it's a cluster fuck, for a variety of reasons. The main one being you are expecting government and town employees to come up with a solution and make quick decisions in a system that is full of red tape and people who have been doing the same thing for 40 years and don't want to change.

There are too many angles where the system is flawed, funding and unions being some of the big ones. Many schools simply don't have the budgets and staffing to do what is required. A lot of the smaller districts are unable to provide adequate technology since they have been relying on outdated tech for years, and other larger districts are running into spacing issues because normally having that many kids in a certain area was never a big deal.

Most of the districts I estimate 3 weeks before they completely shut down again, and in many cases that is being generous. I could literally write 15 pages of bullet points that are issues schools don't have good solutions for which will end up getting them closed again.
Thank you for you input and I totally agree with everything you're saying. I fear this is what's going to happen in our district.

About 10% of our population is financially disadvantaged and many of these kids do not have parents that can or barely speak English. Many do not have adequate internet either other than their phones. The distinct has bought 500 hot spots to help these kids out. IMO, they're about 2,000 hot spots short.

I personally think that if you're going to do virtual school and you're not really set up for it, then you need to seriously dumb down the curriculum to the absolute bare minimum and no electives. Basically just math, reading, science, and social studies/history. Gym and art and teachers can hold virtual classes for those that want to attend. Everything else is self-directed.

The students that struggle, for one reason or another, are going to completely left behind in the virtual school setting. They need help and aren't going to get it. Same goes for the young kids that have parents that work and aren't at home.

I give it about two months before administrators and many of the parents that wanted virtual school only may reconsider their decision after seeing how these districts aren't able to offer a viable academic experience.

Last edited by XutvJet; 08-27-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 1