vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
For real. My desktop machine in my university office is a Dell Optiplex 7050 that I bought so I wouldn't have to use a 9 year old leftover box from some lab. Some profs are getting thin client machines that suck for online meetings.
My emergency on-call (now WFH) machine is a 2011-vintage Lenovo T520, with dog-slow rotating media storage and a stylish "Made for Windows 7" sticker on the screen bezel. I just took it out of the carrying bag to look...and dust off. You already know the story about how I dropped a large chunk of my own coin last spring to buy my own WFH 16" MacBook Pro, with 16 gigs of RAM and 8 cores of Intel i9 CPU goodness.

My desktop back in the office is a 5-year-old 21.5" iMac, base model, rotating media storage, and no retina display. When nobody was looking one day, I popped the screen open and swapped the rotating rust disk for a proper SSD that I personally bought. I also doubled the RAM. If it ever looks like we are going back to the office full-time, I should probably drop the $4,500 for a 10-core 27" iMac Pro while they are still available with Intel CPU chips...to hopefully last me through retirement.

Funny story from last year. The guy who was in charge of the PC/desktop shop was in my office for something, and he noticed that my iMac's keyboard was not factory Apple or the institution's standard throwaway $12 PC keyboards. He complimented me on getting it, asked me how I slipped the $159 purchase past the bean counters. I flipped it over, handed it to him, and asked if he saw an institution asset tag on the bottom? The only thing there was a label that said it was my personal property. I told him that I spend more time at that keyboard than I do with my wife on work days, and there was no way that I was going to type on a $12 keyboard.....