View Single Post
      09-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I got a Masters degree in Technology Management after I'd been doing it for 20 years. I didn't learn anything new except how to do some fancy shit with PowerPoint. But the fancy piece of paper with the signatures on it got me my current job. After more than 7 years here, I'm still not convinced it was worth it.
I'm of the firm believer that the base of one's education which is pre-k all the way up to high school is the most important. I personally think the weight society places on college is over rated. There is no shame if one wants to go into a trade.

i have a BS in Materials Science Engineering from one of the respected engineering colleges in the US. Do I attribute having this degree in my career success? Not really. It did provide some talking points and some respect with two past employers. But my success in IT which has nothing to do with my degree has been my ability to do deductive reasoning/troubleshooting and my propensity to learn. A degree doesn't teach those things. Case in point. I had a friend at my college who was a straight A student. Can analyze the crap out of a circuits diagram/schematic. But when a breaker tripped in her apartment, she was totally lost. Called us in a panic. We ended up having to drive down to her apartment to show her how to reset the breaker.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615140.50
M_Six16804.00
scostu1621.00