View Single Post
      09-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #54
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

OK, so we're three days in with virtual learning. Most everything is being handled through Canvas and it seems to be going as smoothly as possible. My kids (11 and 15) haven't reported any major issues.

What's REALLY funny is that on the first freaking day of virtual school, the district superintendent made the decision without the board's input that elementary school (K through 6) will be going hybrid in 4 weeks and full-time in-person by mid-October, COVID numbers be damned. Just as I told my wife and friends, I knew they'd cave once they realized the gating criteria they established was over the top and that testing scores were going to be disastrous, thus greatly impacting home values as the district prides itself on being one of the best performing public school districts in the nation (thus our astronomical taxes). The super also said all middle school and HS sports are back on immediately. Many families have moved out of the district because they were so over top with going virtual and ending school sports. The district can't have that.

In about 2 to 4 weeks, I expect similar hybrid/full-time school messaging regarding middle school and HS.

As noted in my prior posts, my wife is good friends with many teachers at my 11 y/o's elementary school. They've all said you can do virtual, but without a parent present to keep a majority of the kids focused, it won't work at all. Plus they've all said they can't imagine teaching via a computer for hours on end much longer......they are only 3 days in LOL