12-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #656
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
My friend's dog, Queenie, would lay across our feet while we watched TV on a fall evening. And snore. I don't recall her ever looking out the windows of their house, even though they had floor-to-ceiling windows that looked out over groves of oak and walnut trees where dozens of squirrels were scrambling around.

But if she caught sight of a gun case - even if we were just cleaning them in advance of hunting the next morning - she went berzerk. If I showed up at the door with my canvas hunting vest on and a shotgun over my shoulder, she couldn't contain herself.

Fantastic pointer. We'd often hunt really heavy cover where birds were hard to flush and would just scamper from one clump of bullrush to another. She never gave up. She'd flush that bird if she had to bite it in the ass to get it airborne.

Anyone who's never experienced hunting with a dog or dogs has missed out on one of the most intense and gratifying experiences there are.
Agreed! I hate that people who like to hunt now, will never know what upland bird hunting was like "in my day". We always had dogs. My father would pick me up after school and we could limit out before dark. Now you have to hunt all day with 3 people to even hope to get a single limit. A lot of my fondest memories were of hunting with my father and all his brothers who all had dogs and we'd be out there every weekend. Didn't even chase singles - just looked for the next covey.

Jake has not been on a hunt in many years, but he still gets all wound up when he see's a gun in my hands. Almost breaks my heart when I dig a rifle out for a coyote hunt, then have to leave him in the house after he has himself all lathered up. Need to take him for a "hunt" just to give him a chance to pretend to be looking for birds and burn some energy I guess. He does not have a lot of hunts left in him, so I guess I owe him that. LOL