United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilx783 View Post
Folks as some of you know I just took delivery after waiting for ~ 3 months new Z4 m40i, to my luck we are going through a cold wave here in North and South Carolina’s and the morning temperature is low 30s F (-1 Degree Celsius) and dry.. I read about summer tires best operating temperature is above 45 degrees F. Anyone else got experience in using it low temperature? Heard it will crack the tires.. normally we have a mild winter and very few days of snow.. so don’t want to swap out for winter set up… Driving my other car to work now, and keeping z4 in garage to be on the safe side.. it hurts and my itch to drive is getting worse day by day
I'm in the Atlanta area and we're going through a cold snap too.

It's generally not a good idea to drive them below 40F outside temps. I've done it before in previous cars when I was younger, and you can tell the difference in grip (or lack thereof) pretty quickly. They're not built for it.

All depends on your climate, but here in Atlanta the only time we see below 40F is usually overnight during the winter, and if it dips below 40F it quickly rises in the morning hours. It's never been an issue for me, and if temps are still down close to the 40F limit I just take it easy driving. For me, it's really only a few times all winter where I play it safe.

But sounds like you have another car to drive when it's cold - there's your solution! Don't worry - that's why we live down here. Just be glad you don't live up north.

Last edited by BlankProc; 11-02-2023 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 1