View Single Post
      02-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
bgeorge0049
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Thanks for the find / link. My dealer confirmed as well that BMW opted out, he doesn't know why.

I am surprised as well that they are skipping the auto show. New X7, X5, Z4, 3 series, 8 series, …

Oh well, I am sure they will put all the money they save into incentives for my Z4
Many manufacturers are starting to skip auto shows for a couple of reasons:

1) The cost to attend is very high and the benefit received is very low. Many manufacturers are being more judicious with their marketing dollars and find other avenues more advantageous.
2) There are far too many auto shows worldwide. There are quite a few and only a few of them get their product in the spotlight.
3) Similar to the above, there are too many cars being introduced and showcased in the current environment making it difficult to get a spotlight on your car. This is why BMW chose Pebble Beach to do the introduction of the Z4 Concept and Z4 production models. No competition and they get a lot more press out of it than if they had chosen another venue.

These challenges and others are well documented in the auto industry. Beyond the weather issue, this is why Detroit is moving their auto show to June of next year and changing the vibe and feel of the show at the same time. They are basically rebranding it.
Appreciate 0