Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
Heard the S58 is a little easier to launch due to the power/tq moved up in the rev range.
Having had both, the Z4 is easier to launch with human modulation. But if using launch control, the S58 in the M3/4 comp x drive will smoke it and the RWD comp will probably match it. Manual M3/4 would need to nail those shifts - in manual form comparing the two, well, I haven’t had the manual Z4 but given the torque setup which imo is totally manageable in the b58 I’d put them neck and neck. First gear is more fun in the Z without a doubt. Once the s58 is in second gear, it’s warp speed.

The M3 manual doesn’t lose traction easily- assuming temps are there and tires are warm for both cars, I’d say the M3/4 manual pulls away at 70-80 mph, maybe slightly sooner if the Z slips a bit when that turbo torque hits around 2800 rpm IIRC. Then the B58 is so smooth. The S58 has some turbo boost drop with the manual if you’re not no-lift shifting and even then have to manage it correctly… two big turbos v one smaller two stage turbo… my guess is the Z4 manual is a blast to drive! The M3 manual is too, especially when getting after it…. But always nice to row the gears yourself no matter how you’re driving.
Appreciate 2