United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Did you even read that link?

Other issues are that storing hydrogen as a gas is expensive and energy intensive, sometimes as much as half the energy it contains, and even more so when it is stored as a liquid at cryogenic temperatures. In addition, it is highly flammable, tends to escape containment and reacts with metals in a way than renders them more brittle and prone to breakage. Eventually, although it is everywhere around us, hydrogen is hard, dangerous and expensive to produce, store and transport.

^^^ That's a bit more serious than "limitations" that some R&D dollars will fix.
Let me explain my thinking...

How long has the auto industry been working on battery storage, hybrid tech and pure electric? ~20 years.

Hydrogen has yet to have anywhere near the capital & time invested in it. Its literally just starting to see R&D $'s and time increase in the last few years.

I'm all in on Hydrogen. Many of todays hurdles will be easier to solve than squeezing much more out of chemical batteries.
Toyota Prius and Honda Insight around 2000.
BMW Hydrogen 7 circa 2005.

Hydrogen, unlike battery technology, is comparatively well understood so you can't just assume that throwing more time and money will change what is already known.

The limitations of hydrogen are a result of its physical properties which will never change. Burning NatGas (Methane) would've been the natural successor to gasoline from an air quality perspective and that technology has remained on the fringes for some 20 odd years.

Basically it's all about weight, energy density of the fuel, and ease of use. Hydrogen, Methane are simply not good candidates for vehicles.

BTW...Tesla (via Panasonic) is supposedly coming out with new battery tech which will significantly reduce weight. Batteries are where the money is at. It's not about engines or anything else which is why legacy car companies will become shells of their former selves.

Basically imagine BMW, Porsche, Benz, Ford buying their engines from a third party supplier like Bosch/ZF

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0