Cowleyman
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 C/P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

One problem I experienced was a stone got trapped between one of the rear wheels brake disc and protective shield. Sounded horrendous so I headed straight to the dealer to have it checked out. No visible damage done, thank goodness. Apparently, the gap between the brake disc and shield is very small on the new Z4 and this could lead to a recurring problem on this model. My local dealer had the same thing happen to another M40i driver last week and there are only two of us at the moment. One thing I should point out is that the tyres throw up a lot of stones even on regular road surfaces. I don’t know if it is a lack of sound insulation in the wheel arches or if this is a characteristic of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres.
f80 M3 owner here... welcome to the stone in the brake shield club. Awful noise eh? get used to it. You'll also learn that when it happens you can just push the shield yourself to get the stone to drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

One problem I experienced was a stone got trapped between one of the rear wheels brake disc and protective shield. Sounded horrendous so I headed straight to the dealer to have it checked out. No visible damage done, thank goodness. Apparently, the gap between the brake disc and shield is very small on the new Z4 and this could lead to a recurring problem on this model. My local dealer had the same thing happen to another M40i driver last week and there are only two of us at the moment. One thing I should point out is that the tyres throw up a lot of stones even on regular road surfaces. I don't know if it is a lack of sound insulation in the wheel arches or if this is a characteristic of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres.
f80 M3 owner here... welcome to the stone in the brake shield club. Awful noise eh? get used to it. You'll also learn that when it happens you can just push the shield yourself to get the stone to drop.
Yes, i have had to release a trapped stone, awful noise!
Appreciate 0