Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aastretch64 View Post
I really wanted to love this car, but it just lacked enthusiasm and emotion to me.

My M4 lease is up next year and I think the timing is wrong to hop into the redesigned one, so I thought I could do a 24 month lease in the Z4 M40i to bide my time.

On paper, it is supposed to be just as quick as the M4, but in practice it just didn't feel ANYTHING like it. I obviously didn't expect a transitional model to feel exactly like a true m-division car, but overall to me, it felt a little too effortless and lack luster. The shifts were fast, but had no umph. The accelerator pedal went down, but I didn't feel the pressure of the speed. The steering is nice, but it didn't feel as planted and confident as I thought a lightweight roadster would feel. The car is beautiful and it drives well, but I think M cars have ruined me! I really thought this would have been 90% of the of the way to the M4.

I felt the same way when I bought my wife's X3 M40i. I see the speedometer moving quickly, but my body doesn't feel like anything is happening at all.

Beautiful looking ride though!
Just goes to show you that everyone is different; I test drove an M4 cabriolet before buying my Jaguar F type and thought it was nice but not all that exciting. Traded the F type for the Z4 M40i a month ago and couldn't be happier so far. I knew the BMW wouldn't have the sheer power of my Jaguar (neither does the M4) but I was pleasantly surprized as it was quicker than I thought it would be and the handling/steering/braking are excellent.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0