09-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #80
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
One problem I experienced was a stone got trapped between one of the rear wheels brake disc and protective shield. Sounded horrendous so I headed straight to the dealer to have it checked out. No visible damage done, thank goodness. Apparently, the gap between the brake disc and shield is very small on the new Z4 and this could lead to a recurring problem on this model. My local dealer had the same thing happen to another M40i driver last week and there are only two of us at the moment. One thing I should point out is that the tyres throw up a lot of stones even on regular road surfaces. I don’t know if it is a lack of sound insulation in the wheel arches or if this is a characteristic of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres.
Update
It turns out that the stones (rocks) problem relates to the front M Sport brakes and not the rear brakes as stated in my report. It is very difficult to tell which wheel, front or rear, the noise is coming from when you are inside the car by yourself. It happened to me on 5 separate occasions in the first 1,250 miles and it is horrible experience if the stone does not come out fairly quickly.
However, I am pleased to report that I have had no similar problems during the next 1,000 miles. It appears that after the initial stickiness of the Michelin Pilot SS tyres has worn off the problem seems to settle down. So far so good and long may that continue.
Appreciate 2
CeEl477.50