12-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #489
shanecarmaster1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325i, F01 750Li, e38 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Exactly - each and every car had similar feel and handling characteristics. Anyone driving one had a reasonable expectation of what to expect when driving one because there were common brand components...hard to say that's the case now...

EDIT - the proof is in the pudding, at least in my experience. I know 4 other people who have traded in Bimmers for a Porsche in the last 6 months: (7 series --> Panamara, 135 --> 997 CS, F30 335 --> 997 Turbo) or Audi (X5 --> Q5 S). Now that's just my experience, but it is sort of telling. Many different types of models represented in that small sample size, and the common denominator is the movement away from BMW.

All types of family situations, both male and female. What do they all share? Passion for driving...
Just to add: if anything besides what we've already mentioned, the cars don't invoke any loyalty. For instance, my father and I both have new 7's, but for our next cars, we haven't even mentioned getting another 7. It's so boring on so many levels. Then the "new" one came out recently and it still wasn't alluring. They make each vehicle too predictable and stagnant. Even though the Panamera has been around for a million years at this point, I'd still love to rock a Panamera Turbo without hesitation. I can't really describe it, but even though the current 5 series has only been around for 4 years, the 6 series for less time, the 3 series for 3 years, and the new X5/X6/X4 basically just debuted, it feels as though they've been around for decades. Rewind back and it felt like each cycle was done pretty quickly. I try to get excited for a new model and it ends up being a regurgitation of the rest of the lineup.

I'll go over to my local anything-else dealership and get something new and exciting. Hell, even the Cadillac CTS-V looks killer and drives amazingly as well. Meanwhile the M5 is a big grand-tourer that can't even put the power down.