12-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #170
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
The second we have driverless cars is the second that I don't give a crap as to what I'm driving in.

For the life of me, I can't understand why manufacturers are clamouring for this technology. If I'm not driving, that means I'm a passenger. What difference does it make what I'm sitting in then?

I will not own a car at that point, I'll just use a rented car or summon one to come to my house to pick me up and go where I need to go.
Maybe you won't but I'm pretty sure many people will still want to own a car. The vast majority of people don't care how a car drives. My mother didn't even want to test drive her corolla before she bought it.

So if a large portion of the population don't care how a car drives, don't care for driving and just use their vehicles to get from point a to point b they are NOW in the same scenario you would be if cars were all self driving. They could right now just call an uber... aka a self driving car for all intent and purpose. However people still own cars.

Couple of reasons off the top of my head people would own cars even if they are self driving.

- Convenience. Not having to wait for car to pickup
- Comfort, maybe you can buy a nicer more comfortable car than the fleet offers
- Prestige. Plenty of people buy cars for the badge, same would apply.
- Costs. Maybe you "drive" a lot and the fleet costs would be higher than buying your own
- Rural areas where fleet cars are not easily available
- Businesses would still need vehicles
Appreciate 0