02-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #77
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmull3r View Post
i really do think pricing will be in line with the M340, since that's what they are marketing it as what it is competing with. it's also missing a lot of things from an F car which keeps cost down so it should be pretty compelling! i think 4.5 seconds to 60 is underwhelming too, i really see it doing 4.1-4.2 if car and driver is testing it. in the real world anyways, it's really people's preference of having torque down low of the turbo 6's or enjoying the high revving v8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I think Lexus is sandbagging the IS500 numbers a bit. The 70lb heavier RC-F does the 0-60 in the 4.4-4.5 range and 1/4 mile in the 12.4-12.7@113-115mph range. The prior IS-f with 414hp was 120lbs lighter than the IS500, but had 58hp less. Lots of IS-F owners have been able to beat mag times and go low low 12s and upper 11s at 117-120mph with a couple bolt-ons. These cars are heavy and torque doesn't hit until around 4000rpms so they aren't rockets off the line. They're notably quick/fast from a 40mph+ roll but if you want torque and ease of power gains, BMW is still where it's at.

With that said, this V8 is crazy responsive, pulls and pulls, and sounds epic. I love my M235 dearly, but a used IS500 will be my daily in the next 2 years. The current and last gen IS chassis was in dire need of a motor and it's finally back. The motor and 8AT is very reliable and the 8AT is a very close second to the ZF 8AT in terms of shift speed, aggressiveness, etc. The only issue is you need to be in the more aggressive sport settings to make the 8AT shift in a sporting manner, otherwise, it's too docile and eager to upshift.

The IS500 desperately needs some different wheels and the red is a terrible intro color. White and smokey gray with some good looking, properly offset wheels will look perfect. Like others noted, it's too bad they didn't do something with the front fenders. Lexus went to all the trouble to smoke out the chrome and then put conservative shiny wheels on it. Jesus, it's like GM and them putting chrome rims on Vettes.

Lexus LC 500 (I think same engine?) - 471 hp, 0-60 4.7 seconds, 1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @ 111 mph, 4371 lbs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Why do you think the IS will be significantly faster?