04-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #74
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I see what you are saying, but I see after 100 years we are still battling drugged driving, excessive speed and mechanical safety - are we not? Have they improved? VASTLY - but each time each of us get into a car - we accept that people will die to have automobiles stay legal.

I don't think we can hold a car any higher. If the net result is 50% less deaths - then the cars are doing better than people right?

If we only accept zero airline casualties - then we ground all airplanes. We at some level have to say a certain number of deaths is acceptable for humans to have air travel. I think the same has to apply here.

Humans driving cars was bad and got better.

Air travel was bad and got better.

We have to accept that the same path will be taken by self driving vehicles - correct? Or do we just never accept them at all?

Edit - this is probably all moot as it does not look like this wreck was a failure of the self driving car anyway, but our points still hold water.
The key difference is responsibility.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50