08-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #4582
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devondragon View Post
Depends on what you're wanting it for I guess, and your overall budget. The Rem 700 is a tried and true platform with a lot of great accessories and upgrades (although I've heard some less great things about them more recently). Tikka makes some very very good, and still affordable, bolt guns IMHO. (I'm doing a Tikka + glass build for an elk hunter).

Personally I would be a little uncomfortable with a gun + glass at $550, but that may be my inner snob coming out. Again really depends on your use case and budget. If you're looking at hunting or long distance shooting, I think investing in good glass, (FFP, good eye relief, low light performance, etc..) is important.
It's not just you.... with good glass alone costing more than that package price, one has to wonder where the corners were cut.

My vote would be a Rem 700 with some really nice glass.

For people not sure about whether they are making the correct choice, buying used allows one to get out and not take a big hit if it's not their cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
A 1911 should be .45
I have considered getting one in 10mm though
I too feel a 1911 is synonymous with .45, but there are many out there from .22 on up. I can only assume that means the 1911 platform is a pretty good building block.
Appreciate 3