View Single Post
      07-10-2023, 10:41 AM   #24
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Challenger- We watched it live in school in Maine. It was a pretty wild day, saw my first attempt at mass grief counseling and the school did a great job not trying to stop us from seeing it. I imagine some places might have tried to censor it.

9/11- was in the Atlantic for 2 days supposed to be running reactor drills prior to an ORSE or MTT (can't remember). We were down in the plant about to start drills when they announced the first plane hit. We all thought, "Damn, they're going all out on this one, getting real detailed on calling General Quarters" When they recalled us back to reactor training and saw the events live, we realized it was all real. They actually tried to make us run the drills anyway and everyone in the plant refused. Eventually they decided cancelling was the right thing to do and we all sat glued to the TV watching the rest unfold. Later that night we were in NY Harbor and I remember being out on the smoke deck watching the smoke from the towers cover the skyline and thinking that NYC looked just like every other port now with those two monster buildings not being there anymore.

Cuba 1978- I was 2 years old and had a "sheet ghost" come out of my closet and scare the absolute hell out of me. I still remember it 45 years later, I don't think it was a dream.

Another one from Maine- the morning school announcements went over new rules. They were absolutely insane and restrictive. Things like you could no longer bring lunches, strict dress codes, permission to do anything like even play at recess. They let us stew in our disbelief and discontent for what seemed like hours but was probably only minutes and then declared "This is what life is like living in a communist country" and explained that it was all a lesson.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615553.00
Kilabyte3949.00
dscabra4978.00