View Single Post
      09-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

a few ED places in Munich & other things... ;)

BMW Welt and Museum

Name:  BMW Welt and Museum and WERK  IMG_8928.jpg
Views: 27947
Size:  179.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Thank you sir. I'm not quite headed that way for this trip, but have it bookmarked for the future!

If you have any tips/suggestions for people while visiting Munich, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been there before, but need to spend a Saturday/Sunday doing fun local stuff before I pick up my car on Monday. We love scenic places, and restaurants with good schnitzel, spaetzle and beer!

I will assume you seen my ED thread/guide...

Dackel's European Delivery Museum Guide
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494657

A taste of BMW Welt, München’s Marienplatz, and Oktoberfest!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437687

Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402730

Be aware that, the BMW Museum is CLOSED on MONDAYS!!! So you might want to go see that first!

Actually, most museums in Germany/Europe are closed on Mondays.

Most German museums are CLOSED on Mondays!!

Name:  Muenchen-Sehenswertes-Buehne_5a35299c62.jpg
Views: 8674
Size:  50.7 KB

IF you go to Dachau Concentration Camp/Museum there is a very nice Airplane Museum called: Deutsches Museum - Flugwerft Schleissheim in Oberschleißheim near by. There is a nice Residence next door to to the Airplane Museum.

Deutsches Museum - Flugwerft Schleissheim

Name:  schleissheim-620.jpg
Views: 8649
Size:  29.8 KB

Deutsches Museum - Flugwerft Schleissheim
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488879

BMW Lenbachplatz

Name:  lenbachplatz.jpg
Views: 8312
Size:  264.2 KB

BMW has a min-welt near the Munich train station. Its worth a visit IF you are in the area. They only have a handful of cars here... but its cool to visit.

BMW Lenbachplatz display in downtown Munich...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=879995

Zum Augustiner

One of my favorite beer kellers/restaurants is near there too: Zum Augustiner Several hundred years old this place is very charming. Everyone goes to the Hofbrau Hof... but I prefer this keller.

Zum Augustiner
Neuhauser Str. 27
80331 München

www.augustiner-restaurant.com

Max Krug

IF your looking for some German snick-schack tourist things... almost across the street from Zum Augustiner is Max Krug.

Max Krug
Neuhauser Str. 2
80331 München

www.max-krug.com

You could also go on one of those "walking tours" of Munich. I did the Third Reich tour and it was very interesting. I think they charge a small fee for their tours. It's not free. But It was only around ten euros. You just meet in front of the old RatsKeller(city hall) aka Marienplatz.

www.newmunichtours.com

Munich shops...

When I am in downtown Munich, I like to always visit these places...

Marienplatz
Name:  Marienplatz3279647691965_569965791_n.jpg
Views: 8779
Size:  125.8 KB

GALERIA Kaufhof

GALERIA Kaufhof at Christmas time...
Name:  Galeria Kaufhof_Fassade_04-1400x832.jpg
Views: 6361
Size:  314.1 KB

GALERIA Kaufhof (Big Dept Store)
Kaufingerstraße 1-5
80331 München

Downstairs in GALERIA Kaufhof they have some nice German tourist stuff. Plus they have a nice "market" where you can find foods from all over the world. I also like to go upstairs(4th floor?) and visit the toy and model dept. They also have some very nice Steife Teddy Bears.

Frauenkirche

Name:  munchen 1609925_10153531309508357_7849515414013703326_n.jpg
Views: 6629
Size:  113.3 KB

Dallmayr coffee haus

IF you walk behind the Marienplatz you will see a row of really high end boutiques. I always like looking inside at the Dallmayr (coffee, the BEST in Germany) store. They have all sorts of delikatessen. They even have imported cigars here!

Dallmayr-Tabacladen Marco Schum e.K.
Dienerstraße 15
80331 München

Right next door to Dallmayr's is a really cool but weird place... The store's name is Manufactum and its a cross between a bread and chease shop AND a hardware and fashion store. Its kind of like a German Backery meets the Sharper Image catalog. One must at least walk thru this place!

Manufactum GmbH & Co. KG
Dienerstraße 12
80331 München

also near both of these places are...

Porsche Design Store München
Dienerstraße 17
80331 München

Bang & Olufsen Maximilianstraße München
Maximilianstraße 32
80539 München

I just like walking around this area because of the WOW factor. Especially when you look at the price tags. lol

Brenner Grill

...another really GREAT restaurant is the Brenner Grill. A very nice place. Great bar too.

Brenner
Maximilianstraße 15
80539 München

Just to give you an idea about the Brenner Grill..

Brenner Grill
Name:  brenner  innenstadtwirte_brenner2.jpg
Views: 6378
Size:  126.2 KB

The Brenner is also quite close to the four seasons hotel...

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski
Maximilianstraße 17
80539 München

MarienPlatz

I also like visiting/walking around the market near MarienPlatz. It's called the Victuals Market. Here you can find all sorts of fresh hand made foods. It is a must see place. Also there are many good beer gardens in this area. Also some good Antique shops as well. Walk a few blocks in this area, off the beaten path.

Name:  Viktualienmarkt   Bavaria-Day-Tours-Beertour-Munich3_f1a9567721.jpg
Views: 8794
Size:  558.0 KB

Name:  viktualienmarkt d .jpg
Views: 10367
Size:  151.6 KB

Name:  viktualienmarkt in muenchen.jpg
Views: 24715
Size:  404.2 KB

Name:  viktualienmarkt-10.jpg
Views: 6212
Size:  64.6 KB

Victuals Market

Victuals Market
Viktualienmarkt 3
80331 München

Café Rischart

Café Rischart next to the O2 shop as you walk from Marien Platz to the Viktualienmarkt
Name:  Cafe Rischart_2011.jpg
Views: 12037
Size:  279.8 KB

also Café Rischart is a nice place to sit down for a snack or coffee and cake.

Café Rischart
Marienplatz 18
80331 München

I prefer their other shop near the O2 phone shop closer to MarienPlatz. IF you go upstairs there, you have a nice view of the MarienPlatz while eating some cake.

IF you are feeling adventurous behind Café Rischart is Saint Peter's Church. For a small fee you can climb the narrow and steep steps for an Awesome view of Munich.

St. Peter's Church
Rindermarkt 1
80331 München

Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus

Name:  Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus .jpg
Views: 11728
Size:  412.3 KB

Name:  Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus  02.jpg
Views: 6365
Size:  102.7 KB

Everyone goes to the Hofbräuhaus in München (and or the HardRock Cafe across the street from it)but another really nice restaurant just around the corner from the HB is Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus.

Sparkassenstraße 6
80331 München

Filmtheater Sendlinger Tor

Name:  sendlinger-tor filmtheater-1.jpg
Views: 9772
Size:  118.3 KB

IF you have time in the evening you could take in a film at a very classic old film palace/theater... Sendlinger Tor Sometimes the films are in English... you just have to look online or ring them up. This is where we had the screening for the BMW film Adrenalin

Sendlinger-Tor-Platz 11
80336 München

www.filmtheatersendlingertor.de

One of my friends who lives in Munich suggested this one star Michelin restaurant...

Gasthof Widmann
Bergstraße 4
82216 Maisach

Also in the downtown area is that MB store that has a few cars on display. They always have something special to see. Its located across the street from the Star Bucks coffee haus at Odeonsplatz.

Starbucks (free WiFi !)
Odeonspl. 15-16
80539 München

Odeonsplatz

From Odeonsplatz you could take a long walk thru the English Gardens. There are several nice beer gartens inside of this area. I'd recommend walking thru the Munich Residenz from behind the Star Bucks and into the Gardens from there.

Munich's Residenz - walk to the right and you enter the English Gardens...
Name:  Muenchen-Sehenswertes-Bild-im-Text-3.jpg
Views: 6483
Size:  70.0 KB

Chinesischen Turm

Chinesischen Turm
Name:  Chinesischen Turm1162330837.jpg
Views: 6297
Size:  56.6 KB

I always enjoy walking to - the old Chinesischen Turm(Chinese Tower). You can walk from downtown Munich to this area. You wil be very thirsty for some HofBrau beer once you get there! Actually the entire Englischer Garten(English Garden) area is so pretty. There is a inside and outside restaurant(s).

Restaurant und Biergarten am Chinesischen Turm
Englischer Garten 3
80538 München

www.chinaturm.de

Another really GREAT beer garden/restaurant is the Nockherberg. This is just up the street from Marienplatz and the Deutsche Museum island. The U-bahn will take you close to it. And then its a short walk to the Nockherberg. The Paulaner beer factory is around the corner from the restaurant/keller. You might want to look into a Beer factory tour here. ?

Paulaner am Nockherberg
Hochstraße 77
81541 München

www.nockherberg.com/en/biergarten

Döner Kebab
Name:  Doner_kebab,_Istanbul,_Turkey.JPG
Views: 12940
Size:  153.4 KB

And lastly... what trip to Germany is not complete unless you have some great tasty Döner Kebab!! My friend's tell me that for the very BEST Döner you need to go here... Verdi Supermarket

Verdi
Landwehrstraße 46
80336 München

Have a great ED...
Dackel

PS: And...

Appreciate 0