11-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #88
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well how I ended up with my E86 Z4 Coupe was because of the C7. Mid 2014 when the C7 was introduced I was hardover to buy one. I was just waiting for the prices to come down from the introductory ADM. I found a LT1 with the Z51 package a reasonable price of $45K. The idea for me was the E90 was aging at 250,000+ miles and I wanted to have a second car to use when the E90 was in for DIY repairs. I figured I'd get a new sportscar fresh with zero miles on it.

Well I just couldn't justify driving a V8 175 miles to work on occasion, or for weeks at a time when working on the E90. Weekends I don't drive much, so I didn't need a "weekend" car. Long story short, I pivoted and looked at a Cayman just to get something than a BMW (I've had at least one since 1988). I didn't really like the Cayman, so an epiphany happened and I remembered the E86 Z4 Coupe. Perfect choice, same engine as the E90, same mechanicals as an E46. 2-seat sports car. Plenty of performance for the street I could compare with a C7; obliviously not comparable at maximum performance levels, but anything over how fast I drive the Z4, which the C7 would provide, would get me a reckless driving ticket in Virginia and a ride in a State Police Taurus.

I'd say a fair cross shop between BMW and a Corvette is the E85/86 Z4M Roadster and Coupe.

I forgot about the Z4M. You're right in a lot of what you said.

However using those same cars, that's probably the only time you could cross shop a corvette with something from BMW. A base C7 stingray. Not a C8 stingray but a C7. Because FE vs FE. A C8 is totally different in driving dynamics, feel and power delivery over a C7. And i own a C7Z. I know how much better the C8 platform is. And i only experienced the C8 stingray, as most would since the C8Z didn't hit the streets yet.

The only issue i have with something of a Z4M is that for 65k? You get a 382hp engine. Which i know is potent but with a corvette, you're ALWAYS getting a V8. There is no 4cyl option like a camaro or a mustang. With a corvette, it's V8 in every single variant. From base model to the top of the line ZR1. And it just gets more powerful and crazier as you go up in the corvette variant lineup.

I know corvettes aren't meant for most and this thread isn't to make people want/love a corvette. You either love them or you don't. But people need to understand they're popular and loved by many for a reason. It's essentially a race car for the street. Loads of power, reliability, fun factor and style.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17315.00