United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
IMO, ASD isn't "fake" noise, it's amplified actual engine noise.....unlike the recordings, etc. that some other manufacturers are purported to use.

Honestly, I can't tell on my Z4 but then I drive mostly with the top down so I'm assuming that the actual engine noise drowns out the amplified noise.

Dave
From a bimmerpost article:

"Speaking of sound, I struggled initially with the idea of having any kind of ‘Active Sound’ in an M car. Through first hand conversation with Albert Biermann, head of BMW M, I confirmed that active sound operates on an algorithm with multiple parameters including: throttle position, engine speed and engine load. From these values, the system calculates synthetic engine sounds to be projected into the cabin to accompany the mechanical soundtrack. Albert said that the intention was to provide greater engine speed feedback to the driver to compensate for the more muffled sound of the turbo engine. While the system cannot be switched off, he told me that if it were deactivated, its absence would be quite obvious to the driver."
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0