Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Dayum!!

400 a year for a Duc!?!?

I was close to 400 a month on my 1199s and 1299s in a densely populated area... but I ve also had 2 stolen bikes and 1 accident at an intersection when I was rear ended, so the underwriters show me no love, lol.

You dealing with a punctured rear tire is one of my worst fears since I travel over long distances frequently on my HP4.

Did you notice the damage to your rear tire while you were on the move or when you were stopped...?
Yeah. $400 a year. Granted it's a 2009 848. But still. It's a good rate. This is with one totaled bike...my fault that happened back in 2004.

Yeah, the tire thing was an eye opener to immediately pull over when you notice something not right with how your bike is behaving. The first sign was when I was rolling on the throttle, the acceleration was sluggish. I thought there was something wrong with the engine as it was really apparent. I didn't stop though as I was trying to meet up with family. When I got to an intersection to make a right turn, the bike didn't even want to turn. Went way wide. That definitely woke me up that something was seriously wrong. I got to an intersection with a traffic light and got a chance to stop. I looked around my bike. When I looked back at my rear tire, it was completely flat. There was a Royal Farms at the intersection so I pull in to the parking lot to check the tire and see if I could just put air back in. When I inspected the tire, I saw a rather large hole. So I had run over something and it punctured the tire but popped out. Fortunately for me, there was a Ford dealership next to the Royal Farms. I was able to get those guys to plug the hole in the tire to get me on my way. I managed to get to my vacation home in Delaware without issues afterwards.

On the return trip home to my primary residence, I made it to about 20 to 40 miles away and the same thing happened. Sluggish acceleration and the bike not wanting to turn. Pulled off the highway and the plug that was put in also popped out. That's when I had to call State Farm. I was stranded for about 4 hours waiting on a tow company that had a flat bed to come out to me....in 90+ degree temps. Eventually, I was able to get a tow company to come out to just plug and inflate my tire to get me on my way. That repair did hold and I got home.

As to the tire, it was pretty much already trashed back in Delaware. You can see the extreme wear on the tire where it was just laid flat on the pavement. I could only imagine what the inside looked like with the edge of the wheel riding directly on the inner carcass of the tire.
Glad you made it to your destination safe.

Thanks for the feedback... I would definitely pay attention and pull over if I noticed those behavioral changes on the bike.

Be careful out there, all. Enjoy those toys in good health!