Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
When copying and pasting Excel over to PowerPoint, is there any way to allow users to select and copy the data while NOT allowing them to edit the excel chart? Pasting as pictures doesn't allow for selection. Pasting as source format allows people to delete the data. Marking as final doesn't work either. Also tried protecting the sheet and workbook before copying over to PPT and that doesn't work.

Google says there's no way but I figured i should ask with folks on here before giving up. Lol
There is, but it takes a little work:

1. Select the data you want in your excel sheet and copy it
2. Go to your powerpoint, right click on it, and select "embed" as the paste option
3. open the data in powerpoint by double clicking on the embedded data
4. Select all the data, right click, and select "format cells"
5. Go to the far right tab labelled "protection" and ensure the "locked" radio button is checked
6. with your embedded data still selected, go to the "review" tab up top (this is currently the excel review, rather than powerpoint review since you have the excel data selected)
7. On this tab, select the icon for "protect sheet"
8. Ensure the top box is checked "protect worksheet and contents of locked cells"; then in the box below check "select locked cells" and "select unlocked cells"
9. Add a password if you like, just be sure it is one you will remember. Without a password, your users will still be able to edit the data if they take the time to unlock the sheet.
10. Save your work.

After following these steps, you or anyone will be able to copy and paste the date out of the embedded excel, but will not be able to edit the original data in the powerpoint without unlocking the sheet first.
I tried your way and I think this might just work. Only thing is that when I copy and paste, the table is truncated in PPT (when right clicking on mouse and paste). It's fine if I do Alt+ES and then format. This is an issue that I've been having. Not sure how to fix that. I tried a few things already.
Appreciate 0