View Single Post
      01-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
D1911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 S2k

Some of the guys hit it on the head.
You have to change your ab exercises from time to time... and just like any other muscle on your body, if you want to develop it, you have to add weight or more resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post
A couple of things, you aren't working out on your abs everyday, right?
Another thing is switch up your ab work-outs. Don't do the same thing all the time.

A friend of mine (who is a personal trainer) told me about this one that I can really feel it working when I'm doing it.

Get a yoga mat (or something that is relatively soft). Lie flat on your stomach. Lift yourself up with your elbows and hold for 30 seconds. Do 3 sets of 30. Then increase as you go.
This is called a Plank... which i'm sure is already what the OP is doing "Bridge".
The plank as well as the core exercises you're currently doing are great exercises for stability/core strength/muscular endurance but won't help develop that six pack look mainly because they're static exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
I do weighted crunches. Lay flat on the floor and hold a plate of 35lb (or whatever you like) on top of you straight out with both hands. Then start crunching.
This is a good exercise... I do the same except I'll do it on a stability ball (big round exercise ball) and hold the plate over my head. Doing it with the ball will increase your range of motion and also work secondary core muscles because you have to balance yourself from falling off the ball or having it roll out from under you.

There are a ton of ab exercises I can show you (I was a personal trainer, and still kinda do it on the side) but the most basic and effecitve ones are crunches and leg raises.

Do leg raise on machine like this.
Make sure you're not swinging your legs up and down fast... control your speed and body. Pause, if you can, at the top for a second then slowly lower your legs back down. Don't forget to breath.
3 sets of as many reps as you can do.

Do crunches like this on a ball.
Notice he's fully extended on his back (might be a little exagerated but you get the idea). And make sure they're crunches and not situps.
You should be making your body into a "C" shape and not sitting up.
Try this with no weights at first then start holding a 10lb, 25lb, 35lb weight above your head.
Again, do this slowly. Control your speed and body and don't forget to breath.
3 sets as many reps as you can.

Do decline situps like this.
go all the way down and all the way up. Again, control your speed don't go crazy. Remember it's not a numbers game....nobody gives a shit how many you can do... so do it right.
And again, don't forget to breath. Again you can hold weights out infront of your chest to increase the resistance later on.
3 sets and as many reps you can do.

Appreciate 0