View Single Post
      08-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I had a test drive in an earlier build Model 3 Performance (and I've driven a regular Long and Short Range model) so I won't speak on build quality, but for the base price of $55k, its pretty damn good value for money. Maintenance should also in theory at least be pretty good since there are less moving parts, but of course YMMV.

Handling is very good with surprisingly natural and well weighted although numb steering. The rush of electric power of course is a nice thrill and awesome for passing in traffic or simply amusing/impressing friends. The seats are pretty comfy and the interior isn't all that bad. Whether you can handle the screen is personal preference but the tech is very intuitive, materials are soft and pretty standard for its class, and overall I'm sure you get use to the minimalist feel. Autopilot is awesome, no need to upgrade to the expensive FSD (full self-driving) in my opinion as the regular Autopilot does more than enough and can make traffic a breeze.

Range/Efficiency is also pretty good (at least my friends have said so) with 250+ miles easily approachable and superchargers making the entire process ever so simple in comparison to Electrify America who is still struggling. Obviously the quirks of a Tesla are well known such as build quality, tech, and Musk, but I won't go into that as its all personal preference. I also believe Tesla offers a 7 Day/1k Mile return period. Overall I think its an excellent daily driver, I could definitely see myself buying one in the future. There should also be a ton on Turo (and some rental services may have one) so that's a good way to experience it as well. The Model 3 has pretty much stolen the 3-Series thunder, all my BMW friends these days seem to be switching to Tesla and I can start seeing why. There are drawbacks, but they do things that are different in a good way.

Some links I thought were interesting: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...odel-3-survey/

A few owners in the F8X forums either switched or have both cars. I know its a little long (as most Tesla threads get) but I'm sure there's some good content in their.

M3/M4 vs. Tesla Model 3 Performance https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1511815